Sunday, February 27, 2011

Italy, take two.

It's been nearly a year since I left for Italy. I spent 3 beautiful months in Rome, Italy last summer and now I am beginning to get the 'travel bug'. This year has come and gone with midterms, final exams, Christmas holidays, a new year and now it's another semester at university and I'm already taking my midterm exams. It is time to think about summer plans. Where do I want to go? Do I want to take summer classes? Should I get an internship? Decisions, decisions!

What did I decide to do? Well, you guessed it. I'm returning to Italia! The land of pizza, pasta, and wine! Most cliques are wrong about Italy. But yes, they wear speedos, talk with their hands, and drive like maniacs.

I could have easily found a job in Spain or Turkey but I have friends in Italy, I fell in love with Italian cuisine, and the beautiful language. I cannot speak Italian but am eager to learn and experience another Italian summer. There really is nothing quite like it.

For those of you who don't know what 'Au pairing ' is, it is sort of like nannying but more laid back and a sort of an 'exchange program'. I live and work with a family not as an employee but as a member of their family. I take care of their children while teaching English in exchange for living locally in an area for an extended period of time (with also a salary of course). A "working holiday" is the best way to travel. One can see a place as the locals, eat the local cuisine and see an area as it should be seen rather than seeing only the touristic spots.

This summer I will be living in Abano Terme, outside of Padua, only 20 minutes from Venice, and about and two hours from Milan. The family I will be with this summer are both young lawyers with one daughter, Beatrice (Bibi). Beatrice is two years old and an absolute angel! I will be staying with them from 28 May until 21 August. For the months of June and July I will be with them at their home in Abano Terme and then we will spend the month of August in Sardinia!

I am flying into Rome 23 May and staying the week to catch up with my friends and see the family I was an Au pair for last summer. 

1 comment:

  1. Allie! Having a blog is definitely the best idea ever :)

    ReplyDelete